a single step into the Middle of the World

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The White Bird


As a child we came to Cincinnati infrequently and when we did it was a fairly big deal. Ordinarily, we went so that my mother could shop, an activity she always loved and I always loathed. But coming to Cincinnati often meant going to the restaurant in Shillito’s department store downtown. I assume that people still dressed less casually than today, but I don’t remember being overly dressed up. My only surviving memory of that is of the white covered dish that my turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy arrived in. The ceramic lid was shaped like a hen or a chicken or possibly a turkey. To me it was a marvelous and mysterious contrivance. I recall lifting that bird-lid for the first time, releasing aromatic steam and a marvelous sight that was always pleasing to this young boy. This treat made the shopping tolerable and for some reason that white, ceramic bird lingers in my battered memory to this day.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that rooster, too! However, in my memory we were eating at Rike's in downtown Dayton. Maybe they served it at both. The rest of your posting is spot on, though. Mom always had to look at just "one more thing" for two hours! Love your blog, Charles, and you, too.......Cec

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how all three of us think of that white ceramic rooster. I think you are correct Cec it was in both.

    ReplyDelete