a single step into the Middle of the World

Monday, July 12, 2010

Buildings & Things #1


I told my clients that I would water their plants the first week they were away, since I had the key to their penthouse condo. I was starting work on a mural - getting the base painting done while they were cruising in Arctic waters.
They have a good view of Cincinnati from across the river. You can see the Roebling Bridge in the midst of a paint job (designed by the same John A. Roebling who went on to do the Brooklyn Bridge).

The Ohio River looks bored and muddy. The new tall building going up is getting a strange crown on top that they are calling a tiara. Perhaps Christo and Jeanne-Claude can wrap it in white taffeta for the unveiling.

I started watering the fake plants until I realized my error. They are situated on the edge of the balcony, on the other side of the railing. They are fake. Well, they fooled me. Fake plants like fake architecture can often do the trick they are intended for.

I have a thought about good architecture: it seems to me that a great building still remains great even when it is filthy. It does not require constant washing.

No comments:

Post a Comment