a single step into the Middle of the World

Sunday, April 15, 2012

THE CITY: Part 2







Having not been in lower west side in 5 or 6 years, I have to say I was a tad surprised by all the new names floating around. I mean: Staples in Greenwich Village? 


I was happy to see the Blue Note still there. But it seemed like a lonely holdout in what some natives must feel is the malling of New York City. The Little Lebowski was closed - a bummer for this huge fan. Ground Zero was what it is - a mixture of emotions, politics, crowds, history, construction. The huge and compromised Freedom Tower spoke little to me. Rather, Doe and I were taken by the old Episcopal Church across the street. How - we wondered - did the trees surrounding the chapel and gravestone survive the tremendous destruction of the falling towers? We sat there for a while and as we walked out of there we saw a boy hugging his mother, his face buried in her chest. He was crying. 

2 comments:

  1. that church became the center for all the workers to get their meals which was supplied by the best chefs in the city. enjoy the city and if you can, hop on the ferry for a view of the city unmatched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about those chefs.....wasn't aware that this was the place.
      Still, quite remarkable that it remained unharmed.

      Years ago my oldest friend Danny lived with his family in Staten Island and I went to visit. I took the ferry into the city a couple of times and still remember the view.

      Delete