a single step into the Middle of the World

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

CAR



My friend Guy bought a large building not too long ago in downtown Cincinnati. It’s actually three buildings put together. The oldest part once housed a tannery - in the 19th century. The part he hired me to work on is a 1940’s era office space.
In between these two areas is a gigantic garage where he works on mostly older European autos. That is his passion as well as his business.
One of the cars that inhabits this place is 1960-something Volvo sports sedan that is identical to the one driven by Roger Moore in the old British TV series The Saint. I always loved that car - as well as that show - when I first watched that series as a kid. Upon my first entrance into this magical world of Guy’s, I immediately spotted this amazing vehicle, beautiful in spite of being in the throes of restoration.
Guy knows his stuff and speaks eloquently and knowledgeably about the extraordinary cars he works on. His enthusiasm is infectious. I get into it, despite how much I tire of driving. But certain cars are much more than just autos...they are mechanized experiences on wheels.
I’ve been working there sporadically; when I am able. The other day I walked in and there, proudly ensconced at the entrance to the garage, was a new and very special automobile: a white Porsche Carrera, vintage 1987, with something like 76,000 miles on it. This thing simply held the ground and radiated importance and style and grace and speed and prowess. It looked brand new. The interior was red leather - in perfect condition. A gorgeous creation.
I felt lucky to be part of its life.

No comments:

Post a Comment