a single step into the Middle of the World

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Teen Seen

Taking my daughter Chloe and two of her friends to a thrift store last weekend was an experience. Whenever I am driving teen girls some place, the conversation coming from behind me never fails to amuse and is often really hilarious and kooky. I get to experience the teen thing from the girl’s side as opposed to the male thing I was immersed in at that time of life.
Not that long ago my daughter would not be caught dead in a thrift store. Now, it has a certain cache all its own. It seems cool. Who know what might be found and for a ridiculous price?
All the pressure, the school, the friends, the fun, the viciousness, the electronic obsessions (cell phones, iPods, Internet....), the hormones -
in spite of it all I like these girls. They are sweet and fun and funny and unpretentious. Any teenager can be annoying: self-centered, snarky, spaced-out, chore-averse. But when one puts aside the role, the place, the need to preach....then sometimes one can merely experience this strangest of times in the evolution of human beings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment