a single step into the Middle of the World

Sunday, November 21, 2010

JAN & JOE





Jan: Do you ever imagine what we must look like to ants?
Think about a knat that’s perched on your hair and looking down at the ground.

Joe: I have better things to think about.

Jan: Like what?

Joe: Like, what if an asteroid slammed into our planet right as I was about
to be awarded the Nobel Prize. That would be just my luck.

Jan: That’s ridiculous.

Joe: Why? It could happen!

Jan: You could win the friggin’ Nobel Prize? Hah! That’s good!

Joe: Just before the moment when that prestigious prize is about to be turned over to me, everything is swept away in a
gargantuan firestorm.

Jan: Oh, that’s a happy thought. But back to what I started out saying. The relative scale of things in the universe is freaky. And
without gravity none of this could exist. Yet we can't even see it or define it exactly.

Joe: “...the force that attracts a body towards the center of the earth, or toward
any other physical body having mass.”. Defined in the Oxford Dictionary.

Jan: Aren’t you clever... looking that up. Still, they can only call it a force. They don’t know what it is.

Joe: It’s what makes it possible to drink beer.

Jan: I often look down around my feet and imagine that my eyes are hundreds of feet up. It reminds me of when I was little,
playing with tiny toys outside in the grass and dirt. That small little patch of earth became an enormous world to me, so
much larger in my imagination than it was in real life.

Joe: I’m going into the kitchen to play with gravity.

No comments:

Post a Comment